I should have finished this book review last weekend.
Maybe someone who decides to write a book review in foreign language confronts the same situation as I do.
I am afraid of making mistakes, especially, Grammar mistakes.
I am afraid of writing that kind of stupid book review, just copy and paste the sentences from book without my own thinking. [To be honest, I did it when coding, sometimes]
I am afraid that I wouldn’t do it well.
With these bad feelings, I just ignored it. Try to let it go.
But I am also afraid of reading without writing and sharing.
After a week’s struggle, I knew I need to get it done.
Done is better than perfect.
So, Here we go.
This book is written by Maye Musk, Who is a supermodel at age 72 and also an experienced dietitian.
Yeah, you are right, she is Elon Musk’s mother.
She is totally a lady of great charm.
The subtitle of this book is “advice for a lifetime of adventure, beauty, and success”.
There are five parts in this bio: Beauty, Adventure, Family, Success, and Health.
In each part, she described her own experiences in detail and gave some advices.
When I finished it, I know that she is absolutely not the lucky one, she has her own tough days. She just keeps working really really hard, making plans, getting prepared, taking risks, and pursuing her life bravely.
People respect, and admire these kind of person.
They are the ones who focus on the process rather than the result.
Here are some advices that I like most.
- If it’s not going to change, get out of it as soon as you can, even if you end up having nothing afterward or thinking you’ll have nothing afterward. Or be financially strapped afterward.
- You can always find a way. You can always make another plan.
- Be willing to change, make mistakes, change again, until you get the right style for you.
- Having a plan does not mean that things will go right. It means that if things go wrong, you will make another plan.
- We all deserve a happy life.
- No matter how hard it is, you have to get through it. You have to get out. It’s worth it.
- Teach your children good manners. But let them decide what they want.
- Appreciate the good things that are happening in your life.
- But you have to work hard to make your own luck.
Beside these advices, what impressed me most is one of the stories she told about her daughter Tosca.
When Maye Musk came back to Johannesburg, she found that her daughter had sold her home, her furniture, and her car.
At that time., Tosca was just fifteen year old and she had done it by herself. When I read this, I burst out: “Wow, What a cool young lady she was!”
You know what’s more cool? Maye wasn’t mad at Tosca at all. She thought her daughter had a good point.
She is really a brilliant and open-minded mother.
Plus, I am a little confused about her advices in the last part. I used to believe that a health diet is about high animal fats and low carbs. but she doesn’t agree with this fad diet. Here is her sweet suggestion:
The “secret” to health is eating more fruits and vegetables and whole grains and legumes and dairy, and eating what you enjoy, in small portions, when you are hungry.
Eating what you enjoy, cool, So could I have one more dark chocolate? : P
Never forget “in small portions” and “when you are hungry”.
To recap, I enjoy reading it. I Love this book.
Thanks for sharing your life story. Thanks for your advices.