Introduction to Listening to music
Are you getting the most out of your listening experience?
Why listen to classical music?
National Public Radio 针对该问题的调查结果：
Why would we want to listen to classical music?
- It helps us relax and relieve stress
- It helps us center the mind, allowing the listener to concentrate
- classical music provides a vision of a better world
对于 Professor Wright 本人来说：
It suggests that there might be something out there. God or whatever , bigger than ourselves.
and it asks us to think sometimes, think about things. That’s what I think these great fine arts do, great literature, poetry, painting, music. **They show what human beings can be, the capacity of the human spirit. They suggest to us as indicated maybe there is something, a larger spirit out there than ourselves, and they get us to think. They get me to think frequently about what I’m doing on this earth. **
So, what is professor trying to accomplish in here? : P
- change your personality
- impart to you a love of classical music
Pop music VS classical music
- pop music: reputation, rhythm and beat, strong pulsation, while classical music has melody
- their instruments are different
Course Requirements and Pedagogy
介绍了下教授自己的那本书，第五版的《listening to music》，提到了一句：….about to come out in a Chinese edition for heaven’s sakes。笑喷。顺手查了下，这本书在amzon上的最新版本是第七版，已有中文版。
后面介绍了下 six-CD set.【want it……】
- Music is an aurally perceived phenomenon.most of the music and language processing happens in these left and right auditory cortex【音乐是一种听觉现象，大脑中处理语言和音乐的部分都在听觉皮层，懵逼ing……】
- Daily participation in language labs required. So daily is the key thing here. You’ve got to do this gradual assimilation. So learning to listen to music is just like listening to language. We’ve got to do a little bit every day.
Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony「贝多芬的第五交响曲」「L group / Minor chords / disjunct music」
Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony「贝多芬的第九交响曲」 「R group / Major chords / conjunct music」
Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony was the setting of a poem by Friedrich Schiller called Ode to Joy.
R group: positive, happy, secure.
L group: negative, anxious, unsettled.
为什么可以区分出一个曲子是R group 还是 L group？
Major chords versus Minor chords: 大调 和 小调
conjunct music versus disjunct music: 级进音乐 VS 跳进音乐
home pitch / tonic pitch: strongly felt tonal「音调」 key
Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony 没有 home pitch,「 听教授的那句：bang!!! 感受下」
May be that’s why it sounds so disjunct and so unsettled.
而Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony 则 有home pitch, feel sort of secure in that home pitch.
Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony 的方向是 down
Debussy 的 moonlight Clair de Lune 就是很典型的down.
这里举 Richard Strauss’s Also Sarach Zarathustra:
一个qiuz， what is the keyboard instrument is playing in it?
the brass instrument is a trumpet 「铜管乐器部分是一个小号」
the percussion instrument is timpani 「打击乐器部分是定音鼓」
【注意Richard Strauss’s Also Sarach Zarathustra的最后，可以听出有管风琴organ！还挺明显的】
duple meter:双拍子，one two, one two…. one strong beat, one weak beat, strong weak, strong weak ….
triple meter: 三拍子, strong weak, weak, strong weak, weak, strong weak, weak ….